Crystal Palace 1-2 LFC: FA Cup comeback for Liverpool with Mario involved again

FA Cup 5th Round
Saturday 14 February 2015 - 5:30 pm
Selhurst Park
Show Match Events
49'Sturridge ⚽️
58'Lallana ⚽️
Hide Match Events

Liverpool came from behind to beat Crystal Palace and go into the draw for the FA Cup Quarter Final at Selhurst Park.

Mario Balotelli and Adam Lallana celebrate the reds winner

Balotelli involved in another LFC winning goal

With Steven Gerrard, Raheem Sterling and Lucas Leiva all missing through injury - Joe Allen was returned to the centre of midfield.  Daniel Sturridge continued his recovery with another start for the reds.

Crystal Palace's 4-3 win over Liverpool in the FA Cup Semi Final of 1990 were mentioned before the game.  New Eagles boss, Alan Pardew, scored the winner that day that ended the reds hopes of yet another trip to Wembley.  And the Pardew 'magic' appeared to be in effect again when Palace took the lead after fifteen minutes.

Their goal came against the run of play - Skrtel failed to clear and Dwight Gayle tried to head past Mignolet. The reds keeper got a touch but it came out to the feet of Fraizer Campbell who fired it in.

Gayle spent plenty of the rest of the game diving around and feigning injury but he made the best of his chance in Palace's first goal.

From this goal - the reds didn't panic.  They had seen the vast majority of possession up to this point and now began to grow in terms of chances.

Henderson threaded a ball through to Lallana, that Palace keeper Speroni did well to turn away from goal.  Coutinho had a powerful shot blocked.  Henderson had another, Allen had a go(!), Sturridge had some shouts for a pen.

Half time arrived though without the reds levelling.

At half time the reds replaced Markovic with Balotelli - two strikers to try and get the breakthrough.

Liverpool fans didn't need to wait too long.

In the 49th minute captain Jordan Henderson lifted a cross into the penalty area.  The cross was perfect to Sturridge who fired the ball through Speroni's legs.  Alberto Moreno celebrated alongside Sturridge as the reds signalled their intention to the home side.

Within ten minutes the reds were 2-1 up.

Awarded a free kick just outside the box Mario Balotelli stood over the ball.  His powerful shot could only be parried away by the keeper and Adam Lallana was on hand to fire in.  Smiles from Adam Lallana - smiles from Mario Balotelli.  A winning goal and a winning assist in the space of 4 days - the Italian's best week at the club no doubt.

From here on in it was all Liverpool who controlled and dominated the rest of the game.  Coutinho and Sturridge were given a breather late on - replaced by Lovren and Lambert.  The reds stroked the ball around the pitch - one touch passing greeted by 'Ole's' from the Liverpool supporters.

The reds never looked like they would concede again and deservedly go into the Quarter Final draw.

Leave a Reply

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.