Liverpool 2-1 Spurs: Relentless reds provide another comeback

Premier League
Sunday 27 October 2019 - 4:30 pm
Show Match Events
1'⚽️ Kane
36' Sissoko
⚽️ Henderson52'
63'↔️ Winks off, Ndombele on
⚽️ Salah75'
Wijnaldum off, Milner on ↔️77'
84'↔️ Aurier off, Moura on
Salah off, Gomez on ↔️86'
88'↔️ Eriksen off, Lo Celso on
Firmino off, Origi on ↔️90'
Hide Match Events

Liverpool continued their supreme start to the season, reaching 28 points from their opening 30 available after coming from behind against Tottenham Hotspur.

The Champions League final in Madrid saw the reds score an early goal but Harry Kane put the Londoners ahead after just 47 seconds when a deflected rebound arrived unexpectantly at the edge of the six yard box.

The goal could have shaken the reds but Liverpool do not take kindly to opposition sides taking the lead, undefeated on the last seven rare occasions this has now happened.

As the first half wore on Liverpool gradually exerted their domination and it was the fine form of Lloris replacement, Paulo Gazzaniga, who kept a hatful of reds chances from equalising.

Although the reds went in to the break a goal down, the sense was that it was just a matter of time before the reds hit back, and kicking towards the Kop in the second half increased the chances of this happening.

Jordan Henderson spent the second half in a more right sided position - helping nullify the advance of Danny Rose and freeing up space for Trent Alexander-Arnold to provide more attacking impetus.

And it was the club captain who enjoyed the pleasure of getting the reds back into the game, just six minutes into the second half.

Fabinho sprayed a diagonal ball into the box and Henderson shinned his shot into the ground with power and into the Kop net.

A wild celebration followed by fist pumping and the red tide continued.

Eventually the dam burst, when Sadio Mane was hacked down inside the area by Serge Aurier.  Mo Salah drilled in the penalty to give the reds a deserved lead with 15 minutes left to go.

A late save from Alisson from Son was the only moment of panic in the final moments and Liverpool take another valuable three points in their campaign for a first title in 30 years.

The only concern from the game was Mo Salah leaving the field with five minutes to go - seemingly a recurrence of his ankle injury that has plagued him for a number of weeks now.  All eyes are likely on ensuring he is fit for the clash with Man City in a couple of weeks time.

The reds next Premier League game is away at Aston Villa next weekend, but before then they must navigate a difficult 4th round League Cup tie in which Arsenal will travel to Anfield.

Leave a Reply

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.