Southampton 1-3 Liverpool: Brilliant fightback from the reds to go back top

Premier League
Friday 05 April 2019 - 8:00 pm
St Marys Stadium
Show Match Events
⚽️ Long9'
36'Keïta ⚽️
59'↔️ Wijnaldum off, Henderson on
59'↔️ Alexander-Arnold off, Milner on
Long off, Sims on ↔️61'
80' Salah
80'Salah ⚽️
Vestergaard off, Austin on ↔️83'
Romeu off, Armstrong on ↔️83'
86'Henderson ⚽️
88'↔️ Keïta off, Lovren on
89' Robertson
90' Henderson
90' Mane
Possession %
Total Shots
Shots on Target
Shots Blocked
Hide Match Events

Liverpool stormed back from a goal down to take all three points against a very good Southampton side.

Shane Long opened the scoring in the 9th minute in an abject first half from the reds.

But Naby Keita popped up with a header before half-time.  Mo Salah scored to put Liverpool ahead before substitute Jordan Henderson added a third to ease the pressure in a much improved second half.

As it happened: Southampton 1-3 LFC

Liverpool move on to 82 points and return to top spot in the Premier League.

Midfield changes

Klopp made two changes.  Bringing in Naby Keita and Fabinho to the Liverpool midfield, at the expense of Henderson and Milner.  The Liverpool boss stated that was just a case of bringing fresh legs in as the reds enter the final busy weeks of the season.

Liverpool's Danny Ings, on loan at Southampton, could not play for the home team.

The opening couple of minutes suggested it would be a high intensity game but it was Southampton who settled quicker and a cross pumped in to the box was headed on and Shane Long had the simplest of tap ins.  1-0 to the Saints.

Liverpool were all over the place and were fortunate not to be two goals down after a cross flashed across the box and required van Dijk to narrowly avoid putting it in his own net.

The reds were struggling to find a pass and the midfield was overrun at times.  Shane Long was outpacing Trent Alexander-Arnold in a couple of key moments.

Eventually Liverpool did see a bit more of the ball but it was approaching 30 minutes before they started to apply some pressure.

But they crucially got the equaliser before half time and before Southampton added to their opener.

Trent Alexander-Arnold from near the touchline, sent in a beautiful cross that little Naby Keita rose to head in.  His first goal for the reds and what an important one - coming in his 22nd Liverpool appearance.

The reds made it in to half time level where no doubt Klopp had some words.

Southampton enjoyed a good opening five minutes of the second half but slowly and surely Liverpool improved at breakneck speed.

Firmino's chances were starting to mount up but the goal hadn't arrived.  With Jordan Henderson and James Milner preparing to come on, Naby Keita powered into the area and was fouled.  It looked a clear penalty but the referee didn't give it.

Milner and Henderson came on for Alexander-Arnold and Wijnaldum and it provided extra energy for the reds just as the tide was starting to turn.

From a quick counter attack, Mo Salah steamed up the pitch and with options either side he decided to go it alone and smashed the ball into the net to end a recent goal drought.  He was elated and ripped off his shirt to celebrate the goal that had given the lead back to the reds.

More energy from the reds through Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson as he secured the three points with a third goal - drilling in after Firmino crossed the ball from the edge of the area.

Liverpool move on to an astonishing 82 points - easily the clubs highest return after 33 games in the clubs history.

Back on top of the league by 2 points but City have that game in hand.

There are no bottlers here.

One comment on
Southampton 1-3 Liverpool: Brilliant fightback from the reds to go back top


Leave a Reply

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.