Liverpool 2-1 Man City: Salah and Mane return to the squad – both score

Friendly International Champions Cup
Thursday 26 July 2018 - 1:05 am
MetLife Stadium, New Jersey, USA
Man City1
Show Match Events
45'↔️ Wijnaldum off, Woodburn on
45'↔️ Gomez off, Klavan on
45'↔️ Lallana off, Solanke on
45'↔️ Sturridge off, Mane on
45'↔️ Karius off, Kelleher on
62'↔️ Milner off, Phillips on
62'↔️ Jones off, Grujić on
62'↔️ Robertson off, Chirivella on
62'↔️ Clyne off, Salah on
62'↔️ Fabinho off, Camacho on
62'↔️ van Dijk off, Moreno on
63'Salah ⚽️
94'Mane ⚽️
Hide Match Events

Liverpool came from behind to beat Man City 2-1 in their second game of their US Tour.

Sadio Mane, Marko Grujic and Mo Salah were all named on the bench after their returns from international duty.  City's Leroy Sane got the first goal of the game in the second half, before Mo Salah and then Sadio Mane added the goals to give the Liverpool fans something to smile about.

Both teams made plenty of changes during the game, with the reds making 5 changes at half time and then a further 6 on the hour mark.

Sadio Mane completed the full second half, whilst Mo Salah arrived on just after the hour mark.  Within 70 seconds of coming on he had put the ball in the back of the net - giving Liverpool fans great hope for the coming season that he is fully recovered from his European Cup final injury.

The pre-match news also highlighted Gini Wijnaldum.  He was making his first start of the summer.

New Man City signing Riyad Mahrez was involved in the early action, setting up Nmecha to shoot.  Karius saved with his feet and the rebounded shot was put wide.

Curtis Jones was the liveliest attacking threat for Liverpool in the first half - his best chance coming with a header from 6 yards that went over the crossbar.

Adam Lallana also poked a chance wide as both sides coped with what was a poor playing surface at the MetLife Stadium.

With these two sides scoring for fun last season it was a surprise that the game reached half-time with the score at 0-0.

Academy keeper Caoimhin Kelleher was one of five changes at the start of the second half - and he had to react quick to deny Leroy Sane just five minutes into his appearance.

In the 57th minute, Bernardo Silva delivered a brilliant pass and Leroy Sane had the pace to burn away from Virgil van Dijk and fire into the net. 1-0 to City.

In the 62nd minute Mo Salah was one of six new faces subbed on and a minute later he had headed in from a cross by Rafa Camacho.  Replays suggested it was marginally offside, but the referee awarded the goal.  (Liverpool had already had one goal disallowed earlier from Dominic Solanke).

Salah's introduction, and the goal, spurred Liverpool into a dominant position towards the end of the game and the talented Egyptian looked a class above most of the other players on the pitch.

Mane too appeared to be enjoying his new number 10 shirt, and in the final minute the reds were awarded a penalty when Solanke was barged into.

Mane stepped up and fired past Joe Hart in the Man City goal.

2-1 to the reds and one more game before they return - a game against Manchester United with the possibility of Xherdan Shaqiri getting involved.

After that, Roberto Firmino and Alisson Becker will be joining up with the Liverpool squad.

The season is approaching...

    Leave a Reply

    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.